Sunday 26 February 2012

Robert Crosland's South American Odyssey Part 5


Montañita and Canoa
In the north of the mountainous sierra, a wide range of adventure sports can be enjoyed in Baños de Ambato, and just around the corner is Puyo, a town linking the sierra to the Amazon jungle.
Canyoning in Baños
Ecuador is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, and each of its four regions, the sierra, the coast, the Amazon jungle and the Galapagos, can be clearly marked by their distinct climates, cultures and physical appearances. Although Guayaquil, Ecuador’s largest city which is located in the coast, is only a three hour bus journey away from Cuenca, the differences between the climate, the people and the dialect are vast.
Las peñas in Guayaquil
My favourite activity while I was living in Ecuador was actually learning Spanish, and the regional differences never failed to impress/amuse me. Cuenca in particular is a great place to learn Spanish as it is spoken very clearly there, which is not always the case in the coastal region. The school where I worked provided teachers with free Spanish lessons every week, but most of my learning came from spending time with my local friends, who were always more than happy to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment