Sunday 26 February 2012

Robert Crosland's South American Odyssey Part 6







The garden space outside the school

While living in Cuenca I worked for a language school called the Center for Intermerican Studies (CEDEI). CEDEI is an academic institution dedicated to the study of American languages and cultures. Throughout the year there was always a buzzinginternational atmosphere, as students and teachers from a range of European and American countries participated in their respective language, dance or cooking courses.

The English programme itself is well developed and there are currently 700 students of all ages and levels. The majority of the students are teenagers, but I also had the opportunity to teach some adult classes. The teenage classes were challenging at first, because my students during the TESOL course were all highly motivated adults often with clearly defined goals. Some of my students at CEDEI did not share this motivation, but I had to empathise with them as I was hardly an enthusiastic language learner when I was a teenager. However, teenage classes were also very rewarding at times, due to the students enthusiastic approach to games and activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment